Nonthaburi is found in history as a part of Krung Si Ayutthaya . In the year 1636, King Prasat Thong commanded a canal dug as a short cut from Ban Talat Khwan to the mouth of Bang Kruai Cana, a total distance of five kilometers. In the year 1665, King Narai the Great gave a royal command to build a fortress at the mouth of Khlong Mae Nam Om and the township area was moved over there too. The fortress was demolished during the reign of King Rama III to reuse the bricks for the construction of Wat Chalerm Phra Kiat. In the year 1928, King Phra Pok Klao gave a royal command to relocate the township area to the present site. Nonthaburi was once consolidated with Krung Thep on January 1, 1943; however, it was re-established as an independent province again on May 9, 1946.
Nonthaburi occupies an area of 622.3 square kilometers, only 20 kilometers from Bangkok, and is conveniently accessed by both land and water transportation. It consists of six Amphoes: Muang, Pak Kret, Bang Kruai, Bang Yai, Bang Bua Thong and Sai Noi.
Wat Chaloem Phra Kiat This royal monastry in Tambon Bang Si Muang, Amphoe Muang, was commanded by King Rama III to be constructed of bricks from the demolition of a fortress built in the reign of King Narai the Great; it was dedication to King Rama III's grandparents and the Princess Mother. There are several religious buildings in the area. Inside the main shrine hall (Ubosot) are beautiful mural paintings while beautiful stucco designs decorated with porcelain on the gable and door and window frames are seen outside.
Wat Khema Phirataram Also a royal monastery, it is on Phiboon Songkhram Road, Tambon Suan Yai, Amphoe Muang, two kilometers from the provincial township area. It was built in the Ayutthaya period and was renovated in the reigns of Kings Rama II and TV of the Ratanakosin era. Buddha images of the Ayutthaya period are in the Ubosot, Tamnak Daeng Building,and Phra Thinang Monthian Hall.
Wat Prasat This monastery is on Bang Kruai - Bang Bua Thong Road in the area of Tambon Bang Krang, Amphoe Muang. The Ubosot is of Ayutthaya art having sophisticated craftsmanship. The designs on the gable of the niche entering the Ubosot and the mural paintings maintain special characteristics of the Nonthahuri school of arts which have always been visited by archaeological students.
Wat Chomphuwek This monastery is located in the vicinity of Tambon Tha Sai, Amphoe Muang, on Sanam Bin Nam-Nonthaburi Road. There are beautiful mural paintings in the Vihara and Uhosot, as well as the Mon style pagodas.
This place can be reached by boats which are available at the pier in front of the town gate and also from the agent at the Bridge.
Floating Market at Khlong Bang Khu Wiang The floating market is located at the mouth of Khlong Bang Khu Wiang. Tambon Bang Rao Nok, Amphoe Bang Kruai. It takes about 10 minutes by boat to go to this floating market from Amphoe Bang Kruai.
The floating market starts around 5.00 a.m. everyday, and finishes when the sun is hot, shortly before mid-day. Sellers bring a large variety of fruits, vegetables and foods along in their small rowing boats. Monks also come in rowing boats and the people will present food to them. The floating market offers a pictures of Traditional Thai life scarcely seen nowadays.
Wat Chonprathan Rangsarit This is a Thammayutti monastery located in the vicinity of Tambon Bang Talat, Amphoe Pak Kret and is in the area of the Royal Irrigation Department. Even though it is a newly constructed monastery it is of beautiful style architecture. Its compound is pleasantly shady and a remarkable place for studying the Lord Buddha's teachings.
Wat Ku Located in the vicinity of Tambon Bang Phut, Amphoe Pak Kret, four kilometers from the district township area, this monastery was constructed at the time when the Mon people led by Phraya Cheng migrated into the Kingdom during the reign of King Taksin of the Thon Buri era. Construction is of Mon architecture having mural paintings in Mon style. There is a building constructed to commemmorate King Rama V's Queen, Sunantha who was drowned by shipwreck; her body was temporarily placed in the monastery prior to transfer into Bangkok.
Wat Paramaiyikawat This old monastery located in the vicinity of Tambon Ko Kret, Amphoe Pak Kret is constructed in Mon style architecture. The main attractions are a large reclining Buddha, mural paintings, a Mon style marble carved pagoda and the principal image in the Ubosot. There is a village, on Ko Kret (Kret Island),where the villagers produce ancient Mon style pottery called "Kwan Aman". It is accessible by a ferry from Wat Sanam Nua which is located not far from the Amphoe Pak Kret office.
Suan Tan Noi A flower garden located on the Chao Phraya River bank, amidst an orchard. Within typical Thai houses and a Mon village. To reach the garden one proceeds over the Nonthaburi Bridge passing Wat Ko Kriang, Wat Bang Tanai, and Wat Tan, arriving at the garden. Another way to get there is to park the vehicle at Pak Kret Landing or at Wat Ku; then preceed onto the garden by a ferry. It is open everyday from 08.00 to 17.00 hours and the detailed information can be obtained by dialing Tel: 5833913.
Suan Thip A flower garden located on the Chao Phraya River bank, amidst an orchard. Within lie typical Thai houses and restaurant. It is open every day from 10.00 to 17.00 hours and the detailed information can he obtained at 17/9 Sukhaprachasan 2 Rd.,Bang Phut, Pak Kret Tel. 583 7853, 583 7699,583 7409.
Nonthaburi Fruits Fair This annual fair is held during April-June to celebrate the abundance of such local fruits as durian, mangoesteen and mangoes,then at their peak of succulent ripeness. Besides stalls selling the produce of surrounding orchards and local products, there are colourful processions of floats decorated with fruits and flowers, beauty pageants, fruits contests, cultural shows, exhibitions of provincial handicrafts and agricultural produce , and local entertainments.