Muang Suphan Buri has been prosperous since the Dvaravat and was formerly called Phanchum Buri. It was constructed during the year 877-882 A.D. on the left bank of Tha Chin River in the vicinity of Tambon Rita Yai adjacent to Tambon Phihan Daeng. Later or when the Phanchum era was over, King Katae (half Thai-half Burmese; was crowned and after ascending to the throne be commanded the town to he moved to the right bank of the Tha Chin River, to construct Wal Sanam Chai and to restore Wat Pa Leylai. He then persuaded 2,000 officials to enter the monkhood. The name of the town was then changed to the Song Phan Buri (city of two thousands) Later on, King U Thong moved the location to the southern bank (west of Tha Chin River). The city was given a new name as U Thong until the reign of King Khun Luang Pha Ngua when the name was changed to Suphan Buri. Suphan Bun had been an important border town involving battles and wars. This caused regular damage through all ages in the past until the Ratanakosin era during the reign of King Rama VI. Then the Suphan Buri communities were consolidated and settled down on the east bank of the Tha Chin River (Suphan River) as it is now.
Suphan Buri is located some 169 kilometers from Bangkok (approximately 100 kilometers through the new Nonthaburi-Suphan Buri Highway, from the Khae Rai Intersection in Nonthaburi Province it is only 72 kilometers to Suphan Buri). Occupying an area of 5,358 square kilometers and is administratively divided into 10 Amphoes: Muang; Doemhang Nangbuat, Bang Pla Ma, Si Prachan, Song Phi Nong, Sam Chuk, U Thong, Don Chedi, Dan Chang and Nong Yasai.
Suphanburi Hotels & Suphanburi Resorts Reservation Service
City Pillar Shrine This shrine is located on the west bank of Suphan River (Tha Chin River) half a kilometer from the bridge. The shrine was originally of typical wooden Thai design housing two Vishanu God statues carved out of green stone. It is now in the Chinese pavilion design. This Chao Pho Lak Muang Shrine is highly revered by the inhabitants.
Wat Suwannaphum The monastery called by the villagers as Wat Mai is located opposite to the City Hall. The main attraction is Pun Punnasiri Museum which stores very interesting artifacts and archaeological materials such as howls and cups, vases, Buddha images of various periods, clocks, weapons, etc.
Suphan Buri Tower Rising up to 123.25 meters in the middle of a public park in the heart of Suphan Buri, the tower offers a panoramic view of the provincial town with exhibition center and souvenir shops inside.
Wat Pa Lelai This is a very old monastery located on the west bank of Suphan River, two kilometers from the bank. It is generally called by the villagers as "Wat Pa". The Vihara houses a Buddha image in the attitude of leading a jungle life named "Luang Pho To". The image, highly revered by the people, was formerly in the attitude of giving the first preaching sermon but was changed to be in the present attitude when it was renovated. Every year there are two worshipping fairs falling on the 5th to the 9th waxing moon days of the 5th and the 12th lunar months.
Wat Sanam Chai An abandoned monastery located at Mu 5 Tamhon Sanam Chai, Amphoe Muang is one kilometer from the bank of the Suphan River to the east. Only ruins of the northern side of a large pagoda are left to be seen. It is estimated that its height should be 70-80 meters if it were in perfect shape. Early in 1962 the Fine Arts Department attempted to rehabilitate the pagoda searching for outstanding archaeological materials. Nothing was found probably because they might have been taken away by smuggling searchers many years ago. Some human relics were found and it was assumed that they should belong to warriors who died on the battle field in ancient times, so the name of "Unknown Warrior Chedi" is given to this pagoda.
Wat Phra Si Ratana Mahathat This monastery is located in the vicinity of Tambon Rua Yai, Amphoe Muang on the bank of the Suphan River 200-300 meters from the bridge crossing the river. It is locally called Wat Phrathat and is over 600 years old. The main attraction is a large prang housing the Lord Buddha's relics. It was probably built either during the reign of King Ti Thong (A.D.1350-1369) or the reign of King Ramathibodi II (A.D.1424-1448)
Wat Phra Rup This monastery is located on the west bank of the Tha Chin River opposite Suphan Buri provincial market in the vicinity of Amphoe Muang. It is a very old monastery built in the late U Thong era. The main attractions of this monastery are a reclining Buddha called by the villagers "Nen Kaeo" and Buddha's footprint made of wood which is very valuable as it is the only one in existence in Thailand, and is assumed to be the only one in the world.
The Four Sacred Ponds The four ponds named Sa Kaeo, Sa Kha, Sa Yomana, and Sa Ket are located in the vicinity of Amphoe Muang near the Tha Wa River 14 kilometers from the township area. They are assumed to provide sacred water ever since the prosperous U Thong City era; water from these four ponds have been utilized for various coronation ceremonies.
Tha Sadet Bird Sanctuary To find the location one can travel along the road leading through the Highway Division Intersection; then left turn is made to go over a bridge and straight on to Tambon Tha Sadet where a right turn is made for a distance of 12 kilometers to arrive at the unit. Some birds can he viewed during the day time while a tremendous number of birds such as open-billed stork, heron, stork, comorants, painted storks, night heron, and white ibises, etc.,can be seen in the evening when they come home.
Don Chedi Monument This monument is located in the vicinity of Tambon Don Chedi, Amphoe Si Prachan, 31 kilometers from the township area. The pagoda was constructed by the royal command of King Naresuan the Great to commemorate his victory against King Maha Uparacha of Burma in single hand elephant back combat. Found in 1913 in mined condition, only the base part can be seen. It was renovated having a new pagoda to cover the original one in the year 1952 by the government. A cast statue of King Naresuan the Great mounting the elephant's neck was placed in front of the pagoda. An annual fair celebrating the monument for seven days and seven nights commences on the 25th of January which is regarded as Royal Thai Armed Forces Day. The celebrations include historic shows, folk entertainment and shops selling all kinds of merchandise and service.
Muang U Thong This city currently located at Amphoe U Thong is a very old town found in the legend of Ayutthaya. King U Thong led a migration of his subjects running away from cholera at U Thong City to establish a new capital at Krung Si Ayutthaya in the year 1347. Later on the search for evidence at U Thong City revealed many factors which indicate that this is an old town and established a long time before Ayutthaya. It had been abandoned for some centuries before King U Thong established Ayutthaya as the capital so it is now believed that King U Thong did not run away from the cholera there as afore mentioned. The main attraction of tI Thong is the U Thong National Museum which stores artifacts and archaeological materials found from excavations, such as, tools, utensils and Buddha images displaying human development in the different ages when those people used to reside in this area of Suphan Buri.
Wat Mahathat This monastery is generally called by the villagers "Wat Phrathat Nok" and is located in the vicinity of Tambon Suan Taeng, Amphoe U Thong, 15 kilometers along Malaimaen Road from the township. The main attraction is a not so big prang of early Ayutthaya design having a good looking shape.
Wat Phai Rong Wua This monastery was built in the present era and is located in the vicinity of Tambon Bang Tathen on the bank of Khlong Phraya Banlue, Amphoe Song Phi Nong. It houses the largest metal cast Buddha image of the world called "Phra Phutta Khodom" which has a lap width of 10 meters and a height of 26 meters. There is various construction concerning Buddhism, such as, the Three season Palace of Prince Sitthattha, places of gaining enlightenment, giving the first preaching sermon, and Nivarna (passing away stage), the hell being community, etc. The monastery is reached by Highway No. 321 to Amphoe Song Phi Nong with right turn to Wat Phai Hong Wua; or take a boat trip from Tha Chang Landing, Bangkok, every Sunday at 07.00 hours.